Thursday, February 5, 2009

Prerequisites for learning a language

When I first started this blog, I thought that anyone, at any age, could learn a new language. After this long year, I realized there actually are some requirements.

1) The habit of reading.

If you don't normally read in your own language, you will not be able to read in a foreign one. Reading gives great opportunity to learn new words while having fun.

2) You must enjoy listening to something.

Music is not the best. In my experiente, the best are dialogues. I strongly recommend shows like South Park. It's almost only made of dialogues and its fun. Also it gives you opportunity to learn words that you'd normaly won't learn from books. Hahaha.

1 comment:

Edwin said...

Well said! I agreed with you very much. Literacy is part of fluency. One cannot say his is fluency in a language without being able to read in that language. The habit of reading needs to be cultivated.

I don't believe in listening to music either.