Sunday, August 3, 2008

One week has passed.

Yo,
It's been one week since I started doing sentences. I have not done it yesterday and before yesterday for lazyness reasons, but I did it today.

And I'm still reviewing about 90 kanjis /day from RTK.

The things I have to remark for now are:

  1. Kanjis in RTK from the sentences stick better than superglue. Transfering the kanjis from RTK to sentences reduces RTK review workload.
  2. Well connected sentences are much more enjoyable. I mean, pack of sentences about the same subect. Not only in the sense that it is more fun to dig them, but the japanese you learn from them is better and it gets inside of your mind with less effort.
  3. I discarded from the SRS the most boring sentences.
So for the next week, I'll try to follow a novel.

3 comments:

Alyks said...

Hey Mentant, I'm glad to see things are going well for you. How many sentences are you managing a day? I can't wait to get there myself. After going through kanji for 50 days straight, I can't wait to learn some sentences. It'll seem like cake compared to what I've been doing!

tautologico said...

From what's worth, I finished rtk1 some time ago and I agree with Katzumoto that you don't need to memorize the readings. I've been training sentences and trying to read for a time now, and I know a good number of readings without ever having to try to memorize them as a separate activity.

Also, as noted in the AJATT site and in the preface of RtK2, you often see irregular or rare readings in some words, so even if you try to learn "all" the readings first before trying to actually read something, you may still not know how to read a word.

Well, I can say that not caring too much about readings and just using sentences and reading a lot of real japanese is working for me.

phauna said...

Another 'no effort' way to learn some readings is, once you've finished RTK, to put one common reading next to the kanji in the answer field.

You don't test this reading, you just passively see it everytime you review your kanjis, and it will stick eventually with no effort at all. Of course this method is quite similar to the 'just sentences' method.